Senior Marine Scientist / Project Manager (Waltham, MA or East Providence, RI)
As a Senior Marine Scientist and Project Manager you will be the technical and regulatory lead for some of ESS’ most complex assignments in offshore power, coastal development, and ecological resource management and restoration. You will also lead business development efforts and work with corporate leaders to build upon the Company’s success to grow ESS services in coastal and marine markets.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Serve as regulatory and technical specialist for ESS scientists and project managers company-wide based on expertise in marine science, regulatory strategy, impact analysis, and permitting.
- Manage projects with focus on environmental permitting and field investigations.
- Coordinate with other ESS technical experts and subconsultants on multidisciplinary investigations and complex environmental impact assessments.
- Write and review technical reports and proposals.
- Direct staff on data collection, preparation of figures and maps, and report production.
- Represent clients and projects in public meetings and agency consultations.
- Lead proposal and business development efforts independently and with other senior ESS staff.
- Mentor and train scientific staff and ensure quality work product.
- Track technical and market trends in offshore/coastal development and resource management.
- Network within industry organizations through seminars, trade shows, and technical presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, environmental science, or other related field.
Master's degree with concentration in marine science preferred.
- 8-10 years’ experience in field investigations and environmental permitting for projects in coastal and offshore environments.
- 5 years’ experience in environmental consulting as a project manager / task manager.
- Previous experience with environmental permitting agencies (BOEM, NOAA, NMFS, Army Corps of Engineers, USFWS) and various state agencies in the Northeast US.
- Proven track record facilitating regulatory consultation and approvals.
- Experience performing boat-based biological field surveys.
- Ability to mentor and train staff.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills.
- Self-starter able to balance work on multiple projects simultaneously.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
ESS offers competitive salaries in a dynamic work environment. Our comprehensive benefits package, includes Medical, Dental, and Vision plans; Life and Disability Insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care; 401K Plan; Paid Vacation, Sick Time, and Holidays; and an Incentive Compensation Program. For more information about ESS Group, Inc., visit www.essgroup.com.
ESS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Only applicants eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship or restrictions will be considered.
Please e-mail your resume and a letter of interest to:
with “Environmental Scientist" in the subject line, or mail to: Human Resources Manager, ESS Group, Inc., 10 Hemingway Drive, East Providence, RI 02915.