Senior Scientist/Federal Permitting Specialist
Ecological Science & Environmental Permitting Practice
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
ESS Group, Inc. seeks a Senior Scientist to develop business and grow its ecological science and environmental permitting practice within the Northeast and mid-Atlantic regions. This position will be responsible for diversifying/expanding the range of services ESS provides, expanding its portfolio of clients, and securing project backlog with municipal authorities, agencies, governments and other clients. Candidates must have experience preparing and directly managing National Environmental Policy Act documents including Environmental Assessments, Environmental Impact Statements, Records of Decision, and Programmatic Environmental Assessments and Environmental Impact Statements. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated business development acumen and client contacts within the federal government and private industry sectors that demand National Environmental Policy Act support.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Achieving sales target by identifying, pursuing, and winning projects both independently and in coordination with the Practice Leader and other senior ESS staff.
- Serving as Project Manager and providing senior technical oversight.
- Managing technical staff assignments and budgets to ensure project profitability.
- Participating in public meetings and agency consultations.
- Serving as a regulatory specialist for ESS scientists and project managers company-wide.
- Mentoring and training junior staff.
- Promoting ESS growth in the New England and mid-Atlantic marketplaces.
- MS or PhD in Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, or a related field is required. Background in fisheries science a plus.
- Recognized expert with successful, project-based track record in federal permitting for government and/or private clients and an established reputation with key regulators.
- 15+ years of environmental permitting/planning experience, with 7+ years of proven business development results in a consulting environment.
- Experience in all aspects of managing multidisciplinary projects and project teams.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently under short deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Willingness to travel 25-30% (within US).
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
ESS Group, Inc. offers competitive salaries and an excellent benefits package that includes medical & dental insurance, prescription drug coverage, confidential employee assistance program, pre-tax accounts for health care, short and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, 401(k) plan, paid company holidays, sick leave, and vacation time. ESS Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant must be eligible to work in the US.
For more information about ESS visit www.essgroup.com.
Please e-mail or mail your resume to:
Human Resources Manager
ESS Group, Inc.
401 Wampanoag Trail, Suite 400
East Providence, RI 02915